Thursday, October 5, 2017

Book Review: Michael's Wings

Title(s): Michael's Wings (Original Sinners #6.3)
Author: Tiffany Reisz
Genre: romance/erotica (BDSM)
Rating: 5/5
Page Count: 253
Publication Date: November 7th, 2017

Plot:
A few short stories set in the Original Sinners universe, all revolving around Michael and/or Griffin. The title story takes place before the last two books of the whole series, which I won't give the synopsis for as to not spoil you.

You cannot read this, without spoiling yourself, if you haven't read up to book 6 - or book 2 of the White Years. The first story, Michael's Wings, is the one that's the most spoilery but the others also spoil a lot - especially the Christmas one (which is available for free on her website). Apparently all have been put online/published previously, but I think I'd previously only read one, maybe two of the stories in this collection.


(Trigger warnings by story, let me know if I missed any:
Michael's Wings: OD/death mention, past drug/alcohol abuse mention, I mean a lot of pain play? Whips, i think, crops. Wax play.
Griffin in Wonderland - drug/alcohol addiction
The Gauze - self harm, suicide attempt mention. Michael dealing with both, flashbacks to the sucide
The Theory of the Moment - don't think any? Let me know if wrong, on any of these.
The Couch -D/s, don't think anything else?
A Better Distraction - D/s, also don't think any.
Any questions, feel free to just ask me!)


Review:
I'm definitely bias towards this series just on the fact that I love these characters so much. Just all of them, I don't know if I could pick a favorite ever.

I'm not entirely sure which of these stories were published elsewhere before being here, but the only one I'd read was the Christmas story - which I love, and reread in this anyone because so good. Anyway, the title story was for sure new and it's the first, which is where we're going to start.

Michael's Wings - first off, small note, I thought it was a little weird that this was first? I understand it's the title story and such, but I feel like it should of been in chronological order. It wasn't that confusing for me when I was putting it down between stories, but if I kept going it was a little jarring to skip around like that.

However, saying that, this story was amazing. We got to see Michael and Nora interact more, which is always good. And, of course, Michael and Griffin. I'm was not going to spoil anything at all, but I've decided against that. So if you don't want to be spoiled for a major plot point in the last two books, jump ship now (just know I love this collection and would highly recommend it, and the entire series).

So in this we get to see how Griff proposed, which I was always a tad curious about because... well, he's Griff, honestly. And so I was so proud he did it in a quiet way because he knew Mick wouldn't want it any other way? It gave me a lot of feelings, and the answer scene... I've missed these boys.

Griffin in Wonderland. A super interesting one, that I've never read before but might of been floating around, I'm not sure. Seeing Griff six years before we officially meet him was super interesting to me. I adore him and to see how King reached out to him... I love them all so much.

The Gauze. This one was more intense then I expected? Like I said above, trigger warnings for self harm, suicide mention, attempt flashbacks. D/s, also. It's a good short story, something we don't get to see about Michael dealing with gauze from tattoos (which isn't a thing but I'm letting it go), and talking to Griffin about his attempt. Really touching - also great sex scene.

The Theory of the Moment. Super cute dinner with Griffin and Michael's mom? I don't know what it was about this, but it was just so cute. I think it's just because I love seeing platonic relationships and we really don't get to see them enough. And Michael's mom takes this whole thing like a champ, honestly.

The Couch. Their first fight story, so cute. And then making up on the new couch. They're such dorks, I love it so much.

A Better Distraction. For some reason this is the one I remember least? But I do feel like I've read it before. Basically just Griff trying to help with Michael's homework, totally innocent, nothing D/s here at all (we need a sarcasm font).

Christmas in Suite 37A. I've read this at least four times now. It's so sweet and cute, and I love Griff and Nora's interactions - and also the snippet we get of Griff and Soren interacting. And, of course, Griff and Michael. Of course they'd had problems in their relationships, neither had ever done this and Michael was still so young. I adore this story. Especially the end and Griffin freaking out,. It's also very sweet, though, and tugs on the heart strings a little.

I think you can tell by now that I loved this collection. I was so excited when it was announced, and am even more excited when the young Kingsley story finally comes out next year. Alright, if I had to pick a favorite character, it might be King, but don't tell any of the others, alright?

If you haven't read this series - first of all, spoiling yourself, though I do it to myself sometimes, too. But I do highly recommend the series, just trigger warnings for everything through out. Book two has bloodplay, but I love these characters, and I really like the writing, as well.

Happy Reading! Let me know if you're planning to pick this one up, or let me know what you thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment